Former President Barack Obama has spoken out after President Donald Trump shared — and later deleted — a social media video depicting Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama as apes. The clip, posted on Truth Social, drew immediate backlash from critics who condemned it as racist and inflammatory. Although the video was removed, Trump did not issue an apology and said it had been posted by a staff member as parody.
In an interview released Feb. 14 with YouTuber Brian Tyler Cohen, Obama called the post “deeply troubling” and said it reflected a broader decline in political discourse. He argued that most Americans still value “decency, courtesy, and kindness,” despite what he described as a “clown show” atmosphere fueled by social media and partisan media culture. Obama also expressed concern that traditional standards of decorum associated with the presidency have eroded.
The controversy prompted reactions across party lines. Republican Senator Tim Scott criticized the video, calling it racist, while White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt dismissed the outrage and urged media outlets to focus on other issues. Trump defended himself, saying he did not personally create the post and did not believe it warranted apology.
Beyond the social media dispute, Obama used the interview to raise concerns about immigration enforcement practices under the Trump administration, referencing operations in Minneapolis–Saint Paul that he described as alarming. He framed the broader moment as a test of American values and said voters would ultimately decide how they view the current political climate.